[iTunes] Corruption of iTunes Library? Vs. problem with iPod itself?

Scott Replogle reploglemd at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 6 21:28:44 PST 2008

Here's my take on this frustrating problem from my own experience with
upgrading the OS and having to move song files.

The exclamation point means that the iTunes library can't find where
the audio file is located. It knows the tune belongs in the library
and in the playlist but can't find it to play or to sync it with an
iPod. If you try to play the playlist containing such songs it will
skip them, the same thing it does when you try to sync them.

If you double click on a song with an exclamation point it should ask
you if you want to locate it and will then allow you to go through
your audio files to find the one that should be connected to the song
in the playlist. If you select the song and hit the "open" button, the
song file will be reconnected to the song in the iTunes library/
playlist and start playing.

If it doesn't work that way then I would agree that the library is
corrupted and probably can't be repaired without rebuilding everything.

Doug Adams has an iTunes applescript for this problem of orphaned or
"dead" song files. It's called Bring Out Yer Dead. You can find it here:
http://dougscripts.com/itunes/index.php
by searching for Bring Out Yer Dead (the title is a Monty Python
reference in case you were wondering). There are some other scripts
for the same thing that I haven't tried.
I asked Doug Adams if this could be done in bulk or for a script that
would fix the entire library but he said he didn't think that would be
possible. It has to be done one at a time.

If your problem is orphaned song files, creating a new playlist will
not solve it as you can't add a song with an exclamation point to a
playlist. You could import or drag all the song files from wherever
they're located into iTunes and they will then show up (assuming the
library isn't corrupted) but you will have to then delete the songs
with exclamation points and replace them in each playlist. This is not
a problem for a few hundred songs but it's a royal pain if you have
have tens of thousands of songs and hundreds of playlists.

Scott Replogle
Dr. Reptile
http://web.mac.com/drreptile/