[iTunes] scheduling podcasts

Dale Shera dshera at mac.com
Sun May 11 08:50:38 PDT 2008

On May 9, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Kirk McElhearn wrote:

> Are you saying that you leave your computer on all night, when
> you're not using it? What a waste of electricity...

If you turn your monitor off, and if you have your computer configured
to spin the hard drives down after x amount of minutes of non-use, you
aren't wasting all that much electricity. You're, essentially, only
spinning the computer's fans.

As for downloading podcasts on a schedule, iTunes itself doesn't offer
that functionality. But, there are third party tools to accommodate
the task. I'm not much of an Applescript writer myself. But, I
suspected that an Applescript could be written to do this type of
activity on a Mac. In fact, <http://dougscripts.com/itunes> might
already have such a script. I didn't find it immediately. So, I did a
Google search hoping to find something on the topic. Sure enough, I
found this:

<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20061219003616685>

> The solution is a simple iTunes AppleScript:
> tell application "iTunes" to updateAllPodcasts
> You can use iCal, or any other scheduling app you like, to run it
> when it makes the most sense for you. I use cron with the following
> entry:
> 00 5,17 * * * osascript -e 'tell application "iTunes" to
> updateAllPodcasts'

Granted, Becca isn't using a Mac. So, these instructions wouldn't help
her...

But, on Windows, I found this solution after a Google search:

How to schedule iTunes to download Podcasts on Windows:
<http://mutable.net/blog/archive/2006/11/30/how-to-schedule-itunes-to-download-podcasts-on-windows.aspx

So, the solutions aren't necessarily simple--nor are they as elegant
as they would be when integrated into iTunes, yet. But, you can
accomplish this task without too much difficulty.

Dale