[G4] VGA Monitor on a Mac G3-Thanks

Roger Harris roger at rogerdharris.com
Mon May 30 20:25:58 PDT 2005

This issue is a pain in the ass on the G3; as many things are. You
need a VGA adapter that has dip switches. Many of these have markings
to tell you how to set the switches for certain resolutions and for
Multi-Res for certain monitor sizes. Here is the crunch: The G3 is
different than other Macs in regard to the jumpers. Monitor companies
like Viewsonic can tell you what to use for the G3 but companies like
Compaq would not know the right settings. I would go to the Google
Mac and search for G3 VGA settings. Finding out who really made the
monitor would help. If all this fails you will have to try setting
until one works.

Also, A smart monitor person can probably give an answer if the have
the pin-out of the mac and the monitor; I am not the smart guy.

Roger