[G4] Re: Where o where to put my aging OS 9 & how much space does she need?

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Fri Aug 4 16:56:06 PDT 2006

On Aug 4, 2006, at 5:13 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 10
> Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 14:13:28 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Richard Ramsowr <r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: [G4] Where o where to put my aging OS 9 & how much space does
> 	she	need?
> To: G4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
>
> When setting up OS 9 on a hard drive what is the
> minimum amount of space one needs to reserve for that
> OS - I got 60GB to work with and IÕm thinking about
> putting OS 9 and Tiger on the same drive or IÕll put
> it on the secondary hard drive. I canÕt remember the
> last time I needed or even choose to use OS 9 but my
> G4 QuickSilver can boot into it using Classic mode so
> why not have just in case!

The rule of thumb for OS 9 is 2 or 3 GB.  Actually, the 9.2.2 System
Folder on my QS 733 is at only 352 MB after dragging it around between
volumes and then trimming it down a bit.  My OS 9 Applications sit at
2.5 GB on my operational volume.  An old backup copy volume shows 3.5
GB for the same Applications folder.

My wife still uses Classic.  Once in a while I boot into OS 9.2.2 just
to check something out.  That System Folder is in the same volume as my
OS X 10.3.9.  No problems having it there.

Let's put a find point on things here.  When you boot into OS 9, you
are not using Classic.  You are just booting directly into OS 9 and OS
X knows nothing about that.

Classic mode means that you are really still running OS X.  When you
set up Classic in the OS X Preferences, you give OS X permission to use
parts of the OS 9 System Folder to run OS 9 Applications.  Some people
call that emulation, but that is not accurate.  And use of external
devices like printer and scanner remain under OS X control.

Have fun.
Al Poulin