[G4] installing OSX on external firewire

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Sep 2 06:21:44 PDT 2008

On Sep 1, 2008, at 6:48 PM, Bill Disney wrote:

> How do you install OSX (Panther) on an external Firewire hard drive?
> I'm running a G4 Quicksilver 1 Ghz DP/10.5.2/1.5 RAM and need to run
> Disk Warrior (4.1).

Since you want to run DiskWarrior, why not simply boot to the DW disc?

It will take a bit longer than you are used to when it boots, but you
can then run DW natively from the disc and rebuild the desktop file at
your leisure without having to install the OS on an external drive.

If you really want to install the OS on an external drive, I suggest
you simply use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a bootable copy
of the OS from your internal drive to the external drive without
having to hassle with the installer. It doesn't take that much more
time to make the copy than it does to install from the disc and you
get a complete back-up at the same time.