[G4] monitor gone yellow

Jim Scott jescott3 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 09:48:07 PDT 2008

On Sep 16, 2008, at 9:33 AM, Margaret Krakowiak wrote:

> This morning in the middle of reading email,
> my monitor suddenly went yellow. It's like a clear
> yellow overlay - anything white is yellow, and it overlays
> other colors, like my blue desktop background is now green.
> I turned the monitor off and on, rebooted, no change.
> It's a ViewSonic monitor, a CRT, not flat panel.
> Does anyone have any ideas on what this means, or
> any way to get my white back? I do a lot of graphics work, so
> even though I can read text ok, obviously I can't do any color
> graphics work with this situation :-(
>
> margaret

The most likely reason is that the components on the video board that
control the yellow gun have changed values. This is a common
occurrence as CRTs age, and is a result of heat and simple use. A
trained CRT technician *may* be able to correct the problem with a
simple adjustment, but it's more likely that the video board on the
neck of the CRT will have to be changed. However, the cost of the
repair may be more than the monitor is worth.

It I did a lot of graphics work, I would buy the best new monitor I
could afford, and recycle the ViewSonic, whose age you didn't mention.

Jim