[MacDV] Re: Suggestions for sound capture at wedding

Mark O'Brien rmobrien at mac.com
Fri Apr 11 06:40:43 PDT 2003

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 08:30  PM, Fabian Ius wrote:

>> But iMovie is unsuited to editing 2
>> video streams, you'll need FCP or FCE.
> Not really.
>
> If you have GeeThree's plug-ins, as well as others, you can do some
> neat picture-in-picture, splitscreen, B-roll edits, etc.
>
> Yes, it would be neat if iMovie had more than one video line, but
> Montage (mentioned in another posting), might be an option as well.
> Premiere6 (for OS9) is another alternative, but not sure about its OSX
> capability.

My problem with trying to edit two video streams in iMovie is to keep
the sound in synch. Last year I video-taped my son's band at an event.
I put one camcorder on a tripod and left it running. I used another for
closeups and different angles. Using the tripod camcorder for
continuous sound, I found it excruciatingly difficult to insert cutaway
shots from the other camcorder in synch with the music.

I saw a demo of FCP where there seemed to be more than one way to do
this, e.g. via time code, via slip-edit (IIRC), and maybe a couple of
others.

Mark