[MacDV] Re: What Computer

Powermac powermac at neo.rr.com
Thu Apr 17 09:39:19 PDT 2003

I always tell people to buy the cheapest machine for the task that they want
to do. Basically that means know what you want to do, figure out what
software does this, and test that software out on a few machines (if there
is a local store) or go by the recommended (not minimum) equipment that
software has written on the box.

The difference in speed of the top model and the one under it are not great,
but the price sure is.
If you have chosen wisely you will be able to acomplish your task without
breaking your budget. If by some chance new software comes out that you HAVE
to have for specific functions that doesnt run fast enough for you then sell
the older rig and upgrade. Dont get stuck in the perpetual upgrade hype
every time new equipment or software comes out. They always hype it as the
best thing since sliced break and hardly ever deliver. In general it takes
time to learn the best/fastest way to do something with your new software,
and each upgrade produces changes in the way you work along with headaches
on software bugs.

Wether your buying a PC or a Mac these days they will be obsolete in 2-3
years. Buying the 2nd or 3rd machine from the top will let you run your
current software at a decent speed and let you upgrade every 3 years if
needed without breaking your budget. Processor speed, bus speeds, memory
types, video cards, HD's change way too much in  a few years time to
overspend on the top of the line (for this month) machine.

If your a buisiness your probably better off just leasing the equipment for
2 years and always having current equipment.