[MacDV] Re: Disk fragmentation

Chris Searles csearles at t-online.de
Fri Apr 18 05:51:08 PDT 2003

on 18.04.2003 14:28 Uhr, Steve Robertson at stever at mindspring.com typed
vigorously:

> I'm afraid Gordon's original post was correct. The note about
> PlusOptimizer is hidden way down at the bottom of the page.

Yes, you are right. I didn't expect to find such relevant information so far
down the page. :-(

> But if you
> go to the PlusOptimizer support page, you find that the current version
> of PlusOptimizer will work on OS X 10.2 disks.

Does that mean they are going to release a new version of PlusOptimizer
extra for OS X? Wouldn't it just be better than to use the optimization tool
of TechTool Pro for Mac OS X?

> The only exception is
> that they don't recommend using PlusOptimizer on disks where journaling
> is turned on. What the heck is "journaling"?

As an even more general question: I've read a couple of times that Mac OS X
volumes don't even require "optimizing" in the same way that volumes under
prior Mac OS systems did. Something about UNIX taking care of such problems
by itself. Can anyone else on the list confirm this?

chris searles