Space required on Hard Drive for burning a DVD-R

JuanM juanm at mac.com
Sun Apr 20 20:55:30 PDT 2003

Hello:

i have burned a few DVD-R (both data and iMovies). It usually has been
pretty straight forward. The Movies have not gone beyond 20+/- minutes.

This weekend I started a project which involves three DVDs, one that is
about 82 minutes long, another that is about 60 minutes long and the
last is about 45 minutes long.

I did the short one first. My first challenge was to free up enough
space on my external firewire drives to accommodate the video in
iMovie. The next was the space needed for the DVD file. The last
challenge was space on the hard drive itself.

So here are the questions: how much space do you need on a hard drive
to make a DVD? I know that as a rule of thumb, you need about 1G of
space for each 5 minutes of iMovie length. How much time does that
movie take when made available on the DVD using iDVD? Also, how much
space is needed for the hard drive to handle the file?

Thanks

juan