[MacDV] Re: A-D conversion of LPs

Scott Baldwin sbaldwin at san.rr.com
Sat Apr 26 18:41:35 PDT 2003

On Saturday, April 26, 2003, at 12:43 PM, Dorothy Hennings wrote:

> I thought I read someplace a month or so ago that one could connect a
> turntable to a Griffin iMike audio interface and then thru USB to
> computer without the need for a preamp. Can anyone comment?
> If preamp is needed can someone suggest type or details on this and
> where to buy one?

I would be surprised if you could go directly into an iMike from the
turntable.  The resulting sound would be tinny.

Vinyl records on a turntable have problems with bass frequencies.  If
the bass is strong enough the vibrations can bounce the needle right
out of the groove.  Turntables therefore have a circuit built into
them, which basically cuts the bass frequencies.  The preamp, which is
built into the  "phono in" input of a home stereo, replaces these bass
frequencies.

If you have some sort of system that does not have the "phono in"
preamp (i.e. the iMike),  you have to add an external preamp.   This is
a small box which can be purchased at most stereo stores (Circuit City
etc) for about $40.00.  The turntable connected directly into the iMike
will work, but the resulting recording will sound thin and tinny
without the bass frequencies that are added back in with the preamp.

There are some turntables now that have the preamp built into them.
These you could use directly into the iMike. Here is an example:

http://www.circuitcity.com/
frame1.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2089981214.1051407017@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdkad
ciegiglemcfngcfkmdffhdffk.0&upper=head.jsp&lower=frame2.jsp&left=leftchi
ldcat.jsp&right=productsearch.jsp&department=Home+Audio&category=Cassett
e+Decks

> I'd like to digitize my old LP records. My amplifier etc is in another
> room of the house so I guess I can't use the preamp in it from there.
> Or can I , depending on any limitation of length for the RCA leads  to
> carry the inputs to the computer? Or thru Dazzle?
> George

20 feet would be about the maximum for RCA cables.

Cheers,

Scott