[Ti] Stolen laptops - Important question

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Tue Jul 8 02:58:21 PDT 2003

At 5:53 PM +0200 7/7/03, Trevor J. Hutley wrote:
>At 4:24 PM +0200 7/7/03, Woj wrote:
>>Hi there
>>
>>Im going to buy some used powerbookG4 in seweden because of rate of exchange
>>better than euro_area
>>
>>My question is:
>>is there any online database to check the laptop with its SN that it is OK
>>or stolen .....
>>
>>Thanks for help and excuse my english
>
>Your email is perfectly clear.
>I am not aware of such a database.
>I would ask Apple this question.

	Unfortunately, I am not aware of such a database either.
	I know in some areas (Australia, anyway) Apple does maintain
a database of stolen laptop serial numbers - or rather, it integrates
this information into the warranty database, which also tracks
laptops by serial number and is accessed for most maintenance by an
authorised reseller. I do not know how they deal with this issue in
other countries, though - you will have to ask someone local.
	I believe Apple can make this information available to
dealers, but I don't know whether it is made available to people that
are not authorised for service.
	I have recently had my own TiBook stolen, which I am very
upset about, so I appreciate people making the effort (my serial
number was QT1127CBK6B, but I would be very surprised if it has made
it to Europe!).
	Cheers
		David