[X-Apps] Mail App. 1.2.3 (v551) - Fetch Loop

hart at nasw.org hart at nasw.org
Thu Feb 20 07:48:14 PST 2003

I think your problem with Mail is timing out. I have that problem
occasionally as it is taking too long for my server to make the initial
connection and Mail quits trying.

The reason you see the same mail on the server after already
downloading it is that you have the account set to save mail on the
server for some period of time. That's generally a good idea (in case,
for example, Mail crashes while downloading) but in your case, it's
causing a problem. Two solutions: 1. Temporarily set the account to
delete immediately, then run through the fetch mail routine again.
Finally set the account to save mail for a day or whatever length you
want. 2. If your ISP has webmail, go there and delete the messages you
don't need to download again.

Safari has a setting--it's not really a bug--that makes it time out
after 30 seconds. This is too short in many cases, for example, when
clicking a link in Mail. If you see a message that Safari gave up after
30 seconds of trying, try clicking once in the location box (the URL
will still be there) and hitting return. The site will often pop up
immediately. I believe that Safari has downloaded some of the page
components in those cases. If this happens for you, hit the bug button
and report the 30 second timeout period to Apple as a bug.

> Safari also pops up with a dialog that server can't be found a lot
> and at first few attempts wouldn't let me get hotmail either. It
> wouldn't accept my password to get in. Safari is extremely slow, when
> in 10.2.3 it was really fast.  IE was able to go right in and works
> fine with no problems. As does iphoto, itunes, and imovie.
>
> Andy3

Stephen Hart
http://eugraph.com