How to make animated gifs?

John B. Thoo jb2 at ms.yuba.cc.ca.us
Sun May 11 07:17:30 PDT 2003

On Sunday, May 11, 2003, at 05:50 AM, in X-Applications David Tinker
wrote:

> On Saturday, May 10, 2003, at 08:26  AM, John B. Thoo wrote:
>
>> how do I make an animated gif from a collection of .png files?
>
> John
>
> Can o' worms here. If you go to Shareware.com or Versiontracker, I'm
> sure you'll be able to find a standalone app. I remember having
> something called GifBuilder years ago, just do a search for "animated
> gif."
>
> It begs the question, though on what you mean by "collection," and
> going from .png to .gif my not be a smart move bandwidth-wise.

Dave, thanks for all your input and insights.  Perhaps I should have
said this before, but this is what I'm trying to accomplish.  I plotted
a several graphs in gnuplot that show the evolution of a wave pulse as
time progresses (one plot for each increment in time).  I can save each
plot as a .png and I can use QuickTime Pro to create a nice movie of
the wave pulse's evolution; however, I would like to create an animated
logo for a Web page and thought that an animated .gif would be the way
to go.  What would you suggest?  Small bandwidth and not requiring a
reader to have any special plug-in would be plusses.  (I don't have
Photoshop, but I do have the Gimp.)  Thanks again.

---John.