[X-Apps] PC Viruses on Mac

Florin Alexander Neumann alexn at ica.net
Sun May 25 18:45:58 PDT 2003

On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 20:51 Canada/Eastern, human being wrote:

>  to me even if it is not a virus doing this, my guess
>  was that it was somehow interacting with the unix aspects or something
>  in a way that would cause trouble, enough to make it a significant
> issue.

A significant issue, maybe. Caused by a virus? Not on your life!

>> Subject:	virus in media folder
>>
>>   Scan Type  	Scan Now
>>   Virus Name  	WORM_FRIENDGRT.B
>> <http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/
>> default5.asp?VName=WORM_FRIEN
>> DGRT%2EB>
>>   Infected File  	OTUpdate.exe
>>   Directory  	C:\Program Files\Common Files\Media\
>>   Action  	Clean Failed (Renamed)

I'm not sure what's the point of this quote. Surely, it can't be what
your friend sent you to tell you your file was infected! For one thing,
the file indicated is not, as you said, an image. (It's, in fact, an
application and it's part of the worm itself.) As for the rest, read
carefully the description given by the link you quoted (you can can
also try
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/
friendgreetings.html>). If this is what your friend found on his
computer, it could not have come from you -- in fact, he had to have
installed it himself!

As to Macs, you can download this worm as many times as you wish -- it
can't do anything whatsoever -- unless, I guess, you are running
Outlook under VPC emulation...