Bleach Ball wait states on G3 and G4 Macintosh's.

Leon Sargent Jr. Leon.Sargent5 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 10 15:39:50 PST 2003

Just a few questions if you all don't mind.

I have a Blue and White G3 450 and I was, for at least 3 months, having
constant Beach Ball wait cursor.  Just using the file menu to open a file
would cause a wait cursor when nothing else in the application was active.

I was reading from the Apple email list in the B&W forum that when you
install new hardware you should reset the cuda.  Now I have had Macs before
this and I just really did not think much of the Cuda on something as new
world as the B&W.

I opened the case and to my amazement, after holding the Cuda down for 60
seconds, when I booted I rarely saw wait cursors anymore.  Now Photoshop
opens three times faster.

So down to my question.

Using a B&W, as others I am sure here do as well, do you get wait cursors
often or rarely.  This does not count the wait cursor  you would get when
opening such programs as Adobe products.  You will have the Beach Ball then
as you wait for those lengthy programs to load.

I am talking more about waiting for menu or files to open, moving things,
selecting icons and the like.

I had that Beach Ball in all of events listed above and more.  It was a
nightmare to operate this system and I just wanted to know if Beach Balls
are a common thing on B&W G3 450 ect.

Lee