[X4U] Argh!!! Classic Appletalk Shares

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Tue May 3 17:11:34 PDT 2005

The failure of Tiger to connect using AppleTalk over Ethernet appears to be deliberate and not a bug that Apple will fix. It is truly disappointing in that it means that I cannot upgrade to Tiger without upgrading a bunch of other hardware and it just isn't worth it. It's probably Linux everywhere for me.

>From <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106461#sec4> :

>Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, and Mac OS X 10.1 to 10.3.9 support file sharing (AFP) connections over AppleTalk. However, Mac OS X versions 10.0 to 10.0.4 and 10.4 and later can only connect to AppleShare over TCP/IP.
>
>If you want to connect from versions 10.1 to 10.3.9 to Mac OS 8 sharing (which is AppleTalk only), be sure to enable AppleTalk as described in steps 5 and 6 in Section II, above. Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X can both connect over TCP/IP without AppleTalk, so this step is optional in the absence of Mac OS 8.
>
>Mac OS X 10.4 and later don't support Personal File Sharing (or other AFP) over Appletalk, though by initiating the connection from the opposite direction you could still achieve an IP connection from a Mac OS 8 computer to a sharing Mac OS X computer. The Network preference pane in Mac OS X 10.4 and later still offers the AppleTalk checkbox, but it is for browsing AppleTalk-advertised resources and zones. The subsequent connection must be over TCP/IP.

Last modified on April 28  -  one day before I wasted my $128.
--

Applescript syntax is like English spelling:
Roughly, but not thoroughly, thought through.