[X4U] Argh!!! Classic Appletalk Shares

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue May 3 17:51:02 PDT 2005

> The failure of Tiger to connect using AppleTalk over Ethernet appears to
> be deliberate and not a bug that Apple will fix. It is truly disappointing
> in that it means that I cannot upgrade to Tiger without upgrading a bunch
> of other hardware and it just isn't worth it. It's probably Linux
> everywhere for me.

Bleep!  In my case this means that I need to boot the firewire drive with
10.3.9 on it and check my OpenVMS server for Mac files I've got stuffed
there.

> Last modified on April 28  -  one day before I wasted my $128.

This is the kind of thing they really should have made known prior to
release!  In my case this is just a major annoyance, that can be worked
around (though it will probably take more time than the rest of the
upgrade).  In your case, this is a big enough problem that changing
platforms suddenly makes sense, not a good move for Apple.

I wonder if 10.4 can connect to the *antique* samba server I'm running on my
OpenVMS server...  For me it's either that or NFS, neither seem very
appealing :^(

This could be related to all the changes that have broken *ALL* the 3rd Paty
VPN software, DAVE, and some other stuff.

		Zane