[X4U] Re: X4U Digest, Vol 9, Issue 30

Dave Checkman dcheckman at cox.net
Fri May 6 07:24:57 PDT 2005

dZ, with added emoticon no less and not to speak of the unspeakable
(hour, that is), asked for clarification:

>	I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to say (or it could be its
>too early? :)  Could you please elaborate?

Ever try to send somebody a CD you made, in MP3,  somebody who tried
to play that precious medium either on their Windows machine or on
their car's CD player, say? Ever try to figure out how come they tell
you "It don't work!" or stuff like, "I can see it turning around but
I don't get any sound [don't ask what this is supposed to mean]."

If you have, you know it ain't easy. "Compatibility",
"Interoperability", "Universal Playability". Take your choice.
Searching various web sites for help will soon alert you to the fact
that you, likely, are never going to find your CD is workable on
every current player. It's the player device "manufacturers" who
often are cited as the villain for not abiding by some "standard" or
other.

So, okay, having your Mac-produced (MP3) CD be universally playable
is out. What about it working on most/many/the most used players? I'm
not at all confident that I know how to do this given my present
skill and equipment (a Mac, Toast Titanium, Peak LE, and iTunes of
course). That's what I meant.

Dave