[X4U] SCP and RSYNC -

Jeffrey Stormshak jsstormshak at comcast.net
Fri May 6 10:36:28 PDT 2005

I was wondering for those UNIX users in the Mac Community if anyone has
encountered the following problem:

When using rsync and scp from another non-Mac system (in my case -
Mandrake Linux and Solaris 9) when backing up my Mac data, I notice it
drains my Mac G5 Memory (4GB in total - OS: 10.3.9) down to under 45MB
of RAM.  I've checked the versions of the above programs across
platforms (Apple included) and all is the latest.

I've even left the system that way for 24-36 hours hoping that the RAM
would deallocate and it doesn't.  It takes a reboot to bring me back to
(4)GB of RAM.  All other apps (X-Win, Mac and third-party) works
wonderful and has proper RAM allocation.

Sorry if this is too UNIX related but its how I manage my data backups,
etc.  Just wanted to see how/if the Community has encountered this and
if anyone has found a proper solution.

Thanks in advance -
J.

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes."
-- attributed to Edsger Dijkstra