[X4U] SCP and RSYNC

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Fri May 6 13:03:31 PDT 2005

On May 6, 2005, at 12:36, Jeffrey Stormshak wrote:
> I was wondering for those UNIX users in the Mac Community if anyone
> has encountered the following problem:

I thought that we were all UNIX users, if we're on Mac OS X.  ;)

> Sorry if this is too UNIX related but its how I manage my data
> backups, etc.  Just wanted to see how/if the Community has
> encountered this and if anyone has found a proper solution.

Hi Jeff,

I've never run into this situation using scp or rsync (or anything
else, for that matter) from any of the *nix boxen that I run.  I've
got our "house-blend" which we call HURL (Hacked Up Redhat Linux)
running a 2.4 kernel on about ten machines, and have Fedora Core 3
running on two machines.  I scp and rsync regularly back and forth to
my main work Mac (DP G4 1Ghz with 1GB SDRAM, OS X 10.4) and my
personal Mac (TiBook 667 w/512MB SDRAM, OS X 10.4).  [I just updated
to 10.4 last week, was previously running 10.3.9 from its release,
and 10.3.8 before that.]  I've never run into any of these issues at
all.

Sorry that I can't be much help other than to say that this is not
the normal behavior I experience.  I presume you've tried with
another account on your same machine to see if it exhibits the same
behavior?  I'd try that and see if it might be something as simple as
that.

If you don't get much feedback, you may want to try a sister list of
this one, the X-Unix list:
<http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/X-Unix.html>  It's much more
geared to these sorts of queries.  And I know some *nix-heads on it
who aren't subscribed to this list.

--
gretchen