[X4U] Copying User Accounts

P. H. Adams phadams at mac.com
Sat May 7 04:05:26 PDT 2005

On May 7, 2005, at 2:56 PM, lj Palmer wrote:

> This is an Shell file that I've used in terminal to create new
> accounts on a machine remotely. You could use it then copy the User
> folders from the other machines. ( This worked for Panther but my
> Tiger is still in route.)

Thanks, lj. I ended up just installing the new system on the internal
hard drive, then copying the user folders back into the main User
folder. When I created the accounts in System Preferences, I simply
used the same short name as the folders, and the OS was smart enough
to realize that I had a user folder with the same name and asked if I
wanted to associate it with the account. That was my biggest concern.
I'm not sure how to do it with my main account though (the original
one I logged in with). I'll have to do some more testing.

Thanks for the script, though. I think it'll be useful to add to my
bag of tools.

-patch