[X4U] Rip It Up - iTunes Import Settings Survey

Kirk McElhearn kirklists at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 13 00:30:17 PDT 2005

On May 13, 2005, at 9:15 AM, eleventhvolume wrote:

> I'm running out of space with my iTunes library encoded at 192mp3
> and have
> been thinking about converting to 160AAC which appears to be
> comparable
> sound quality and I'd save something like 20% on file size. I've tried
> choosing Advanced > Convert Selection to AAC for a selected album,
> but that
> places the converted tracks alongside the originals in the original
> folder.
> Deleting the 5200+ songs in my library by selecting out the mp3s
> and then
> reimporting the AACs manually appears to be a very time consuming
> prospect.
> Is there an easier way of undertaking such a process? Thanks for
> any advice
> offered.

I wouldn't recommend converting files in that way. They've already
been compressed, and decompressing then recompressing them (which is
what the conversion does), will result in artifacts; the music will
probably sound worse.

Kirk

                       Author of: iPod & iTunes Garage
                      http://www.mcelhearn.com/ipod.html
       Kirk McElhearn | Chemin de la Lauze | 05600 Guillestre | France