[BTM] Do Apple Keyboards and Mice work on start-up question

Dan Frakes Dan at Frakes.org
Fri Sep 26 13:04:05 PDT 2003

Stephen Jonke <sjj_public at mac.com> wrote:
> There is a misconception here. Apple doesn't say that their bluetooth
> mouse and keyboard do not work at startup, they say that you must
> complete the computer setup process before it is possible to add a
> bluetooth mouse and keyboard, and that is why they don't offer it as a
> build-to-order option.

According to the people I've talked to at Apple, the Bluetooth
mouse/keyboard do not work at startup, ever. They are not functional until
the Bluetooth drivers are loaded.

That means that unless you have a *wired* keyboard, you don't have access to
any startup actions and/or services:

shift key for safe boot
command-s for single-user mode
c to force CD boot
option to access Startup Manager
cmd+opt+o+f for Open Firmware
...and so on

Since some of these are vital troubleshooting/configuration options, Apple
can't ship a computer without a wired keyboard.