[P1] iBook, iSynch & Palm

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Tue Dec 10 16:17:59 PST 2002

Am 10/12/02 23:20 schrieb "Brian Olesky" unter <brian4 at sbcglobal.net>:

> After upgrading from OS9 to OSX.1 and Office v.X last December, I went for
> months unable to use my trusty Palm IIIx . Then, as noted on this list
> previously, 2 or 3 months ago, Microsoft finally came through with the sync
> software, and I've been very happy, and very organized, ever since. My Palm
> now hot syncs with all my Entourage X stuff (calendar, address book, note
> pad and to-do list) flawlessly.
>
> And if I remember correctly, when the sync software came out, one of the
> requirements was to have Palm Desktop IV on your machine, even if you're not
> using it, which I don't, so I'm thinking this means you'll be able to hot
> sync with that equally well.

Brian,

this was actually only because MS was trying to control who could download
the software. I still wonder if they are using this information for
marketing purposes, similar to Media player in XP. I do not hate MS and use
Office, IE and other MS products but please let me decide what I need and do
not need! Most people that were waiting for this Office update were using
anything possible until then to be able to get at the data...MS wanted to
ensure that only Office users who actually had and needed a palm could
update (otherwise an error came up) but you can get around this...you only
need to have a folder with the right name in the right location to do the
update...I found this out by running across software somewhere, I believe it
was

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/index.html

for use with a bluetooth phone but may be wrong...point being that MS wasn't
saying that the Palm software needed to be working in order to download or
do syncs...

Richard