iLife???

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Feb 1 01:58:25 PST 2003

> From: Peter Nacken <caipirina at mac.com>
> From what I heard it is like 150 MB for iMovie and 42 MB for iPhoto ..
> SIGH
> !

What have I told you about listening to rumours?! :)

It's 81 and 35 MB respectively.

> Will get it somehow :) curious what people say how they like it ... Any
> articles about tests yet ??

I have tested both pretty thoroughly since it came out at 3pm. I'll
keep this short since one can go on about the overall brilliance of
these two programs indefinitely.

iPhoto - handles larger libraries much better, but still not the place
to keep 10,000+ photos. The one-button "archive to CD/DVD" option saves
CRAPLOADS of time and is a real godsend. Earlier in the day I had to
burn two CDs of photos for somone on an iBook and it took FOREVER. Must
have been at least a half an hour -- select photos, export photos, drag
resulting folder to blank cd, burn cd, verify cd. Sheesh.

The Enhance button really IS magic, but I notice patterns -- it
brightens and heightens contrast on people and near things, darks far
and/or fuzzy things. Interesting approach that indeed will make MOST
people's photos look better. Will drive real photographers mad. :)

The Retouch brush is TOO simple, but it does work and it is nice.
Again, real Photoshop jockeys will loathe it. No control.

Overall a great improvement. Seems much faster to me but that could be
the "new software smell" talking.

iMovie - two minutes after I opened an unfinished project in iMovie3 I
was wondering how I had gotten along without the Ken Burns Effect for
so long. The integration with iTunes and the new instant export to iDVD
(the secret: all the clips are kept in DV-compatible format from the
get-go), the new sound effects and transitions are all fabulous.
Haven't played MUCH with the audio features except to soften some music
in a spot where it's hard to hear the narration -- wow, how did I work
without this feature before?? Oh yeah, I spent a lot more time in other
programs "prepping" the audio! Big productivity boost.

So far, my only disappointment is that I don't have any way to export
in MPEG-2 for SVCD use. Toast provided a plugin for VCD output, now if
they (or Apple) would just do the same again for SVCD ...

_Chas_
Come to  ... The CHASbah!
http://thechasbah.blogspot.com

"Best Documentary EVER," Assoc. of Documentary Filmmakers:
http://www.bowlingforcolumbine.com