[P1] OT: LCD vs. CRT

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 6 15:47:01 PST 2003

On Thursday, February 6, 2003, at 07:04  AM, good-dog at northshore.net
wrote:

> Is it that with Quark being so behind in going to OS X, this is his
> hang up?  Quark is their mainstay.

After a while anyone whose livelihood and income depends on their
computer output develops the attitude of don't do anything to screw it
up. X is quite stable but is Quark in Classic? I don't know.

One way to find out how dedicated anyone is to having this individual
switch to X no matter what is for that individual to guarantee out of
his wallet the lost income and cost of the switch.

Trust me on this, I have been on the bad end of THREE database crashes
after upgrading the OS and other stuff at the customer's request and
against MY wishes. It's a real pain in the neck to have to A) rebuild a
thoughly screwed up database because they waited two weeks to report
the problems B) consider moving into a new database because the present
one they wanted to move up to is unstable C) do this under extreme
pressure because the income and jobs of a dozen people and the home and
possessions of the owner depend upon my being able to fix the problems.

So, with that in mind, let's not treat the reluctance of a manager to
put his entire business at risk to satisfy someone else's whims as a
negative thing...   :)

Unless of course you are wealthy and willing to pay for all costs in
doing so.

:)

---
In an article about DoubleClick, Wired posts a DoubleClick cookie:
<http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,54769,00.html>

http://www.jackrodgers.com