[P1] One last time (was self-quotes)

Harry D. Corsover harry at corsazzi.com
Sun Jan 5 14:58:21 PST 2003

One last stab . . .

----- On 1/5/03 2:54 PM MDT (-0600), Eric B. Richardson
<lbyron at comcast.net> wrote, in part:

>Finally, I would wager that most of the non-voters are just plain
>apathetic, and that is probably a sign of satisfaction, that they see
>the situation as largely satisfactory, and unlikely to change much no
>matter for whom they vote.

I think you'd lose that wager, Eric. I know of no logical or statistical
reason to think that most non-voters are either apathetic or satisfied.
In fact, a good case can be made for the opposite. Most of the non-voters
I know (a number that's alarming to me personally) are quite
dissatisfied, but have given up on the system working in any meaningful
way. They see the situation as largely unsatisfactory, and unlikely to
change much no matter for whom they vote.

> *If* they were really unhappy, you can bet
>that most of them would get out to vote, and make their voices heard
>before the election.

You could bet that <g>, but I wouldn't. Your premise requires a belief
that one's vote or voice will make a difference.

To try to bring this even close to on-topic, take the masses using
Windows. Large number of them dislike Windows, dislike and distrust
Microsoft. Some have even fought hard to get the Mac OS accepted at or
integrated into their workplace. Many have given up in the face of
repeated defeat. Neither apathy nor satisfaction must be a part of that
equation.

>Creating misery and fear is one way of changing the government
>through the vote.

By this logic, if I were walking past your house and saw flames and
smoke, my yelling 'FIRE!' would be "creating fear and misery."
Interesting.

> Supporting the national mood is another way of
>keeping the status quo. It is one of the reasons the media supported
>and didn't question the inflated economic statistics of the closing
>Clinton months, and now ignores the good economic news now,

Good economic news? Get real. One of the things I do for a living is
recruit for sales/marketing teams. In almost three years, I've not seen
so many people unemployed or unemployed for as long as I have seen
lately. And speaking of "the media" as if it is some homogeneous entity
is, I think disingenuous.

> instead
>reporting the Democrat claims of doom and gloom. By nearly every
>economic standard, it is improving and last year was pretty good.

We clearly read different economists' opinions. Just off the top of my
head: uneployment is up, and people have run out of unemployment
compensation while the Bush administration twiddles its thumbs, focusing
on how to benefit the richest of the rich. Many people's retirement funds
or accounts have been decimated (or worse). Health care is out of reach
for over 51 million people, and over half of employers (particularly
small and medium-business) can't afford to offer health care insurance.
Over 76 million people are underinsured, and premiums and co-pays are
rising drastically (while some insurance and "managed care" companies
increase their profits, and pay their top executives big bonuses).

This administration's response to the growing crisis in health care?
Accept whatever the insurance industry asks for. Remove important privacy
protections enacted by the Clinton Administration (which effectively
allow the insurance industry to use your private medical information for
marketing purposes, without your permission or specific knowledge); but
the already low reimbursement to health professionals in the Medicare
program (effectively forcing more doctors out of that system); and
despite Medicare's overhead being a small fraction of that of the
for-profit insurance companies, favor "privatizing" of more health care
and of prescription benefits (thus ensuring more profits for big business
at the expense of the average consumer).

>Excepting the overvaluation of the stock market, which Greenspan
>warned  you all about in 1996, but Gore and Clinton pooh-poohed

What -- are you implying that a large cadre of Republicans warned us or
were willing to take any steps to reel this in? Are you implying that
there is a fast, direct relationship between an administration's fiscal
policies (especially with the opposition in charge of Congress) and the
economy of the country?

>; and
>slept at the guard tower, or worse bribed or blackmailed or pressured
>the guards at the gates while the robbers at WorldCom, Enron and
>Global Crossing absconded with your monies.

Have you considered a career writing fiction? I don't recall an
administration more in bed with big business, especially big oil, than
the current one.

>Creating fear and misery is a major play in the terrorist guidebook too.

As is grandiosity.

Best Regards,

Harry Corsover

    Harry Corsover, Independent Business Owner
Amazing Travel * Health * Legal & Tax Benefits
    Get & Send Email by Voice! * Much More!
          <http://www.hc.cyberwize.com>
      <harry at corsazzi.com> * 877-507-9562