newbie owner asks "Bug or Feature"

Charles Broderick chasbrod at inreach.com
Sat Jan 18 05:53:03 PST 2003

Hi,

I just got a new iBook (800Mhz combo model), and I have two questions:

1) When I sleep the powerbook and take the battery out, it immediately
shuts down. Is it supposed to do this? Normally on my previous powerbooks
(5300, 1400, 2400, Lombard) you had about 20 seconds or so to change
batteries. In fact, the only other time I had a problem like this was when
I had a bad RAM module with my 1400; once I replaced that I was then able
to change batteries while sleeping.

2) The battery, even when fully latched in, protrudes about 2mm in the back
(right by the "button" and indicator lights). In other words, it isn't
fully flush with the rest of the powerbook at that corner. Is this normal?
Minor, perhaps, but I have a feeling this will annoy the heck out of me.

Thanks for your input and help!

Charles