[P1] newbie owner asks "Bug or Feature"

Bill Lockhart blockhart1 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 18 08:02:14 PST 2003

On Saturday, January 18, 2003, at 08:53  AM, Charles Broderick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just got a new iBook (800Mhz combo model), and I have two questions:

me too!
I should be getting my 512 meg memory any day now and that should
really speed up the performance of this iBook.

> 1) When I sleep the powerbook and take the battery out, it immediately
> shuts down. Is it supposed to do this? Normally on my previous
> powerbooks
> (5300, 1400, 2400, Lombard) you had about 20 seconds or so to change
> batteries. In fact, the only other time I had a problem like this was
> when
> I had a bad RAM module with my 1400; once I replaced that I was then
> able
> to change batteries while sleeping.

I can't help you here. I've always shut down my laptops before taking
out the battery for any reason.
just a habit.

> 2) The battery, even when fully latched in, protrudes about 2mm in the
> back
> (right by the "button" and indicator lights). In other words, it isn't
> fully flush with the rest of the powerbook at that corner. Is this
> normal?

my battery protrudes about the same amount but towards the front of the
iBook.
I've tried reinserting it several times but it hasn't helped.
its just border line annoying.

The one thing that does bother me though, is the iBook makes a
"popping" or "static' type sound every so often.
It seems to be coming from the left speaker, although I'm not sure.
I can't duplicate the noise, so I haven't taken it back to the Apple
Store, yet.
I don't use the modem so I don't think that's it.

any suggestions on that?

except for the popping sound, I love this machine.

Bill