extra user names

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Jun 29 14:19:47 PDT 2003

> From: Allan Hise <allan at hise.org>
>

> Don't worry.
> Take a loot at /etc/passwd or netinfo manager.
> These extra "users" have no login shell so they can't do anything even
> if
> they were allowed to log in, which they aren't.
>
> Besides, if you get rid of some of these "users", parts of your OS will
> stop working.

That said, my computers only have 8 other "user names" besides my own
-- but then I'm the only person using the machines.

So if you're the only person using the machine and you have 16
accounts, it sounds like you either have another "active user" or there
was one left over from before you got the machine (I see this a lot of
"floor models" and "demos" etc).

I agree with Allan's advice, it's unwise to delete any users unless you
are sure you know what you're doing. Otherwise disaster may follow.

_Chas_

If this country had a national motto, it would be "DOH!"