[P1] iBook newbie...

Brian Pearce bpearce at cloud9.net
Wed Mar 5 18:14:48 PST 2003

> BTW: can deleting portions of an OS cause problems? I always download
> Netscape and then remove Internet Explorer in order to get M$ free.
> Any idea why they put IE into the OS?

Internet Explorer is not an integral part of the Mac OS in the way that
it is in Windows; it's just an application, and you can delete it at
will.

As to *why* it's included at all, the short version of a long story is
this was a part of a business arrangement between Microsoft and Apple.
Apple got a public demonstration of and commitment to Microsoft's
continued support of the Mac platform, and Microsoft got a big boost in
the number of Internet Explorer users. (Not to mention a tidy profit
from the Apple stock that was purchased as part of the investment.)

BRIAN/bpearce at cloud9.net