[P1] suggested external firewire hard drives?

Tom R. no spam tr5374 at csc.albany.edu
Sat Mar 15 11:18:22 PST 2003

A few months ago I reviewed & shopped around after reading various
posts over a year or so on the tiBook list (where it was popular
to buy a bigger HD to replace the small originals in the early
tiBooks, an easy swap in the tiBook (but not iBook) and then use
the original as an external).  I ended up finding Transintnl and
OWC had aparently the same housing, and of course
the actual HD's are the same, mainly IBM and Toshiba units.  I
bought from transintnl, partly on price, partly on reports of
satisfaction.  Got a 40GB preinstalled in the small clear plastic
housing.  Is USB2.0/1/1 as well as FW.  By very many reports,
the IBM 40GB GNX (the "N" aparently is important) was a specially
good unit, fast and especially quiet and reliable; and that's what
I got (2X the size of my iBook's 20GB).  At the time the universal
understanding was to be sure to get the Oxford 911 chip in the
drive interface/housing.  Another interesting option, which I
decided against, was some company--forget who--sold just a
firewire interface as a small box with ports, so you just attach
that to the esternal HD and don't even have a housing.  Was neat,
but FW only and no cheaper, so I got the unit stated above, which
has been fine so far.

www.trasnintnl.com; www.owc.com;

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Brett Forrester wrote:
 . . .
> I'm looking for shopping advice. My rig is a first edition iceBook
> (500 MHz, dual USB) with original 10 GB hard drive, and I use this
> machine for a little bit of everything. I'm looking to buy an
> external FireWire hard drive to, er,  supplement my storage
 . . .