[P1] suggested external firewire hard drives?

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Sat Mar 15 11:20:24 PST 2003

On 2003-03-15 08:16, Brett Forrester wrote:

> More recently I have heard good things about OWC's Mercury
> Elite drives, but how are they in terms of weight and portability?

I have an OWC Mercury On-the-Go drive, and I can say it works very well.

It's small, light, and very portable. Bus-powered, too, so no power adapter
to carry, although one is included in the package.

I found that it was cheaper to order an empty enclosure and a separate hard
drive. You don't get any software with it that way, but I didn't feel I
needed any, anyway. I ordered it with an 40 GB IBM 40GNX drive, a 5400 rpm,
8 MB cache drive, and installed that drive in my iBook for reasons of speed,
and put my iBook's 20 GB, 4200 rpm, 2 MB cache drive into the enclosure.
Everything works flawlessly, and my iBook has gotten a little speed boost to
boot.

When I get a new 12" PowerBook, the 20 GB will go back into the iBook, the
PowerBook's 60 GB will go in the FW enclosure, and the 40 GB will go into
the PowerBook (yes, I have been planning this for a while ;-).

,xtG
.tsooJ
--
Real programmers always mix up Halloween
and Christmas, because Oct 31 == Dec 25