[P1] Archive and Install

Joost van de Griek joost at jvdg.net
Sat Mar 15 11:47:17 PST 2003

On 2003-03-14 19:12, Mark D. Chapman wrote:

>> "sh-2.05a#" means that you are using the sh shell as root. That is not
>> necessarily abnormal. What was the prompt you got before?
>
> I get this prompt when I login in single user mode. I used to get a
> different prompt but I can't remember what it was. I have not enabled
> root access in the GUI.

When you start up in single-user mode, you are root.

However, you are correct, that is the prompt shown for single-user mode as
of 10.2 Jaguar. Single-user mode uses sh version 2.05a, hence that prompt.

The default shell in Terminal is tcsh, with a prompt indicating your
computer's network name and the current path. No difference whether or not
you are logged in as root.

,xtG
.tsooJ
--