Printing Woes

Mark D. Chapman mchapman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 26 05:02:04 PST 2003

I have a few printing problems:

1. I can't print from an iBook (OSX) to a non-postscript Personal
LaserWriter 300 (using a 7500 as a print server)
- I can't find an OS X driver for this printer. I have looked at
Linuxprinting.org and Gimp_Print among other sites and have found
nothing.
- I tried printing to PDF and printing it out using Acrobat but the
printout looks terrible

3. Printing from an iBook (OSX) to a LaserWriter Plus (using a 7500
as a print server)
- I have found an OSX driver for this printer. Unfortunately, it puts
a grey background behind everything I print.

Since I am on the topic I thought I would throw in an off topic
printer problem as well:
3. Printing from a 7100 to a Laserwriter (using appletalk over phonenet)
- I can't create a desktop printer using the chooser. Everything
appears to work fine but no desktop printer appears.
- I can create a desktop printer using the Desktop Printer Utility.
However, when I try to print to that printer I get a -8940 error.
- Following the advice of Apple's knowledge base I have deleted the
desktop printers, deleted the printer preferences, deleted the parsed
PPD folder and rebuilt the desktop all to no avail.

Does anybody have any suggestions for my printer woes?
--
  Mark Chapman - Centre for the Study of Religion - University of Toronto