Portable Heat

Video International videoint at jb3.so-net.ne.jp
Wed Nov 5 15:26:56 PST 2003

Wow! The first iBook related post since I joined this list a few days
ago!

I too, am troubled by the heat issues of the 12". I'm currently
debating on whether to get a 12" G4 iBook or the PowerBook 12". I had
thought though that the extreme heat problem was limited to the 12" PB
(AKA The Ouch Book).

Besides the possibility of the heat decreasing the life of the
components, there have been reported cases of the heat actually warping
the body of the 12" PBs! At least on the 1st generation models.

I believe the discomfort from the heat is more prevalent on the PBs, as
their aluminum cases are better at dissipating heat (right onto your
lap!). So the components may be safer in the hotter book. I too have
heard that the problem stems not from the processor, but from the hard
drive, which is only 4200 RPM.

There was a post awhile back on a possible fix (reduction) at Apples
website:
<http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@141.Qif3abvHk8p.6@.3bc109fc>
I was told recently by an employee at a Mac retailer that using the
Panther OS will reduce some of the heat. How, he didn't explain.

So I've been leaning towards getting the G4 iBook and was hoping I
might come across a hack that would allow me to install iDVD (an
internal SuperDrive is needed to install iDVD) and another hack to be
able to use an external DVD drive. But after reading your post about
the iBooks getting hot as well, it makes the decision that much more
difficult.

Any info, real life experiences or advice appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

Rick