[P1] OS9 compatibility on latest models?

e.mkeene e.mkeene at wap.org
Fri Oct 10 21:52:14 PDT 2003

> I haven't tried an OS lower than 9 on my 500 MHz iBook.  I doubt that
> would work well, if that's a requirement.

I have an ibook 700/combo running 10.2.6 primarily with occassional
forays into Classic. One day while sorting cds, I ran into a bunch of
very old apps.n Just for the halibut, I tried running them on the
ibook. Mind you, these were all the very first versions of things like
MacDraw, MacWrite, ClarisWorks, etc. Most of them actually ran a pretty
good speed right from the cd since there was no such thing as
installers needed for Sys 6 and a lot of Sys 7.0 A few insisted on
switching the monitor to B&W with a max of 256 colors or grayscale
while a few wanted 8 bit graphics. They all worked and since they were
pure applications, they did not mess up the permissions, the OS or
anything else. They worked, when they were quit, they quit. Much better
behaved than many current apps.