Bumped Mouse and PB 10.3 froze...

Glenn R. Fong fongg at t-bird.edu
Thu Feb 12 04:14:46 PST 2004

In addition to your USB observations, I get kernel panics if I hot swap
video connections while in Panther sleep.  I stuck with 0S 9 until only 6
months ago, and had no such problems.  The Panther workaround is to hot swap
in awake mode rather than while sleeping.  But as a mobile PB/iB user, who
ports back-and-forth between external devices at least four times a day, I
find this "avoid sleep" approach a fundamental violation of a mobile
life/work style.  Before I put my machine to sleep, I now have to stop and
think about whether I will move it in the near future, and just in case,
disengage all devices before sleeping -- and then reawaken it before
re-engaging devices -- ridiculous.  Someone might suggest just don't put the
machine to sleep, but I believe the longevity of our laptops is enhanced by
giving them a break from the heat buildup and incessant fan activity if left
running.  This is the one area I miss OS 9 the most.