[P1] OT: Setting up Public Wi-Fi

Scott Warren sw at shelton.org
Fri Mar 12 07:35:25 PST 2004

Grouping some thoughts together:

Why would anyone want to sniff my computer or hack into my system?

   Dont think of it as so personal.  Yes some hackers go after specific
people but most of the time they are looking for the system to hack
into, free internet access to atain, or just accidentally stumbled into
the network.  Evil user will use your wide open computer to hack into
Microsoft so that they do not get caught.  Good user will connect to
your wireless network, check their email, surf a webpage or 2 and leave
your computer alone, maybe not even knowing its there. "Needing updated
virus software" user will innocently connect their Windows computer
that is running oddly to your network and the virus will see open ports
that have not been patched and infect the innocent computers on the
network. (I did not know I had the flu, sorry you got it also)

Who is to blame with a wide open network?

   I do agree that public networks are just that, public, and you can
not always tell if they are public or just not setup right.
Personally, come with in 300 feet of my router and have all the
wireless access you want.  If I did not want that, I would use WEP and
limit SSID transmission.  The problem is that out of the box, the
router is not locked down.  People want things simple so they are
simple.  I think the burden should be on the Router owner to be
secure... I am the one locking my car and house.  There is not a
wireless network equivalent to the thought of "they should not be
walking up to my house/car and checking if the door is open or locked"
since automatically joining networks is built in.  I do think that
there will be more wireless mischief since its so new and there is a
"thrill factor" about it.  How many people have thought about turning
your computer on in the car and seeing just how many wireless networks
you come across (using a MacStubler from Apple Downloads)