iBook hard drive replacement

Reid Conti reid at conti.net
Tue May 18 09:56:12 PDT 2004

Howdy!

My snow (dual USB) 12" 600mhz ibook has had a failing drive for some
time ... Damn IBM travelstars!

Had the click of death, so a few times I woke up in the morning and the
thing was going nuts and hard crashed...

lately, it's gotten worse.  While running safari, mostly, the hard
drive will make loud metallic clicking noises (definitely not good!)
and the whole system locks up.. also, sometimes when I wake up in the
AM, it's hung.

So two questions.

First off, I got Panther in December, but left my CD's in another
state.  as fate would have it, I happen to have my Jaguar CD's.  Would
it be at all useful to me to boot off the Jag CDs and run disk repair,
or is it a Bad Thing to try to repair a journalled disk with Jaguar's
CDs?  Perhaps borrow a Panther CD if I can find someone else who has it
nearby?

Honestly, I think the drive itself is dying, but the fact that it seems
to only happen while running Safari, makes me think perhaps there are
some bad sectors that maybe a disk util could mark as bad?  Not even
sure if the OS X disk utility is this advanced..

Secondly, what should I keep in mind for a new drive?  I think I'll
install it myself, unless I'm gonna be able to find someone to charge
me less than $50 for the work, which is doubtful.  I've seen the
instructions online and it doesn't look too bad.  But can I use any ATA
laptop hard disk, or are there things I need to keep in mind (disk or
ibook firmware-wise)?  I'm thinking of a 60-80gb, 4200 or 5400rpm
drive... I see Hitachi, Samsung, Toshiba, Seagate, etc models on
newegg...

thanks for your help!

- reid