[iBook] Major system crash and What does Transport monitor do?

Robert Crawford robertc at clancrawford.us
Sun Oct 24 08:59:44 PDT 2004

Yesterday I had a system crash. I was reading mail (II had obviously
done a lot of stuff since the last restart) and I got the beach ball of
death. After about an hour I force shut down the g3 600 iBook.
Then, It would not restart. the screen stayed blank. After about four
tries of that it came up with a text message to shutdown or boot mac
os. But, it would not boot mac OS. When I tried that the screen just
went blank. Then I tried the Hardware Diag disk, it said everything was
fine. I tried to reinstall the OS but it kept hanging on the java
install. Then I did the replace OS and it did it.
Then I moved the user library, for me, from the "previous installs"
folder to the current side of the system (saving old installs is a nice
feature). The only error I have gotten so far is "Transport monitor can
not start, there is a error in the library." In truth, there are
probably a lot of errors in the library; it did not move cleanly.
Any Idea what Transport Monitor does, and should I care about it?