[iBook] video crapped out

Bill Raffensperger raffy at macsrule.com
Mon Apr 17 20:59:28 PDT 2006

My iBook 600 (Dec 2001) has been a great little machine. But about 10
days ago I had a crash where the cursor and the clock froze. None of
the key combos worked, I had to hold down the power key to shut it off,
and upon reboot, there was no video. I have been using it in target
disk mode plugged into a 400MHz iMac since then. You know, hold down
the option key, and boot the iMac from the iBook. It's kind of surreal,
it's my computer, I can do everything I used to do, but I am tethered
to this iMac and my iBook just sits there, out of the way, forlorn on
it's CoolPad, lid open, dead screen. I really miss being portable. I
have debated getting it fixed, but it's almost four and a half years
old. Been thinking about a 12 inch PowerBook G4.

I reset the power manager. I even took out the ram, the airport card,
and the battery, then pressed the reset button for 5 seconds. Put just
the battery back for reboot. Nothing. Zapped the p-ram. Nothing. I
guess the video card is fried. Anyone familiar with this issue? Any
other good ideas? It's sad. These things should last longer than this.