[iBook] local mac ibook repair for UK

Mark Bennett blackice at pavilion.co.uk
Thu Mar 16 01:41:51 PST 2006

Hi All

I've had a problem with my dual usb ibook after I installed the 30GB
HD. Basically it wouldn't take a power feed without turning off. Makes
charging impossible.

So I bought a replacement part off ebay and was going to fit it myself
but was loathing the idea of going back inside there. Its like a metal
onion in there with teeny screws. The HD uprgade took a good 4+ hours
and was messy in the extreme.

Local apple dealer was going to charge me 110£-ish to do it and net
searchers weren't much cheaper so I held off and have had the batteries
occasionaly charged by friends with the same ibook.

I spotted a post on a pr email list I'm on for a local guy and he did
it all for £40, and put the new/used keyboard in too.

His details are:

Andrew Duffy
andrew at macsthatwork.com>
01273 648365 or 07984 116155.
www.macsthatwork.com

And it appears to be all working fine now. I can plug the lead in and
it doesn't cut out, it doesn't drain the battery when one is in and its
charged a battery fine. We did discover its in the batch of dodgy
motherboards so if there is still a problem it maybe deeper than a
quick power supply swap.

Hope this has been of some use to people.

Cheers

Mark

www.alchemicalshadows.com
www.blackicemagazine.com