[iBook] Has this happened to your iBook?

Howard Pettigrew howard.pettigrew at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jan 24 22:26:24 PST 2007

Happened to me Murray. I dropped my G4 14" on the concrete floor of
the garage (oops) putting it into the car one morning with too many
things being carried and not enough hands. The white ring broke and
that was it - no battery latch. I just used wide cellotape to hold
the battery in place (not ideal) until I could take it in when I
wasn't using the computer (a very rare occurrence!). They had to
replace the whole bottom of the laptop but they had to seek approval
from Apple Australia (they control NZ as well) before it could be
replaced. I didn't have to pay but that may be because it was a
teacher's laptop in NZ and all teacher laptop's are covered by an
equivalent to the 3 yr Applecare in NZ.
The bad news was that after repair, the battery would still fall out
(always when ou hadn't saved it!), so it was back to the cellotape
again, which looked ugly but did the job. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
If Apple won't replace under warranty, what about seeing if there are
any dead ones around you could get a cover off. I have 2 x12" sets of
plastics from dead ones and there are some advertised on our online
auction site equivalent to eBay all the time. I think I could
probably find a 14" from someone in NZ if I really had to, but the
postage and risk of damage may be too high to consider.
If you could get a cover, the online Fix-it takeapart guides are very
comprehensive and it isn't as if you have to go too far into the
machine like say replacing the logicboard, which is where the sweat
breaks out on the brow. The worst part of getting the plastics off is
actually getting the casing apart, where you have to use a little
brute force and use something made of soft plastic that won't scratch
the edges (something like the little plastic spoon to eat an ice
cream sundae is ideal)
Just a thought
Cheers
H in NZ